This tag comes from Lindsay at lindseyrae from BookTube. This tag looks at those books in a TBR that for some reason or other, you just haven’t picked up.
1) What book have you been unable to finish? A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin
I want to love this book SOOOO very much. But, man, the storytelling is very distant and hard to engage with. Not sure I’m ever coming back.
What book have you yet to read because…
2) …you just haven’t had the time? The Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty
I am sure I will love this book and my surety grows every time Caitlin Doughty posts a video on her Ask a Mortician YouTube channel. I’m coming for you, TSGIYE!
3) …it’s a sequel? A Scholar of Magic by Carol Stevermer
I have fond memories of A College of Magics, and this fantasy of manners is my favorite sub-genre, so I’m hoping this one will thrill me.
4) …it’s brand new? Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell
Well, I’ve been on a tight book buying ban, so this is relatively new. Which is to say several months old now. But, I won it and it will get read sometime!
5) …you read a book by the same author and didn’t enjoy it? Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
I really like Eleanor and Park, and Fangirl, but did not get along with Landline. I’ve heard other people talk about preferring Rowell’s adult or YA, so I’m afraid to pick this one up in case I fall on the YA side of the line. Fingers crossed it’s just a thing between Landline and me! (And I didn’t even hate Landline, I just didn’t love it as much.)
6) …you’re just not in the mood for it? The Water Room by Christopher Fowler
My mom loaned this to me, and I just haven’t felt the urge to pick it up. Vacation reading will be homework on this.
7) …it’s humongous? Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
So big. Also, first person, which is not my fave. But dragons. And spies.
8) …because it was a cover buy that turned out to have poor reviews? Gilded by Christina Farley
I’m not sure that they are *poor* reviews but I’m not a big cover buyer, though this one is lovely, but it has the lowest average Goodreads rating on my TBR list. The rating is 3.44, which isn’t really “poor” but I’m working with what I’ve got.
9) What is the most intimidating book in your TBR pile? My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
This book has so many accolades on it, and it’s out of my wheelhouse, so things could be disappointing.